Friday, February 5, 2010

From our St John Essence Travel Log Archives










"Shamba uses brilliant acrylics to paint ethereal Black Jesus/ Rastafari images. Vibrant and powerful."




"I got up in the AM and went up to Bordeaux, where I have a garden. There were 4 bunches of bananas ready to harvest (4 different kinds too, and one bunch that was so big that I had to struggle carrying it on my back up the trail to the truck). And, of course, there were weeds to pull/cut. I cut off some hands from the bunches and gave some to neighbors. I passed by the shanty of a childhood friend, who is a "true" rasta, and gave him 4-6 hands of the different kinds of bananas. "Praise and thanks," he said several times. He gave me some bush tea slips in return. It was satisfying to share the produce, engage in a neighborly exchange of foodstuffs, and cool to be invited into the dark, earthy-smelling interior of his black-painted shanty (with the Lion of Judah" painted on the door), from the porch of which he overlooks his garden in a gut off of Centerline Road...This guy truly lives a pure and simple life."

-- Brion Morisette, St. John

No comments:

Post a Comment